Thursday, March 24, 2011

Parts is parts, sometimes literally.

I got these resin cast clonedel parts a couple weeks ago from http://metrixcreatespace.com/. The parts look pretty nice. They will certainly need some cleanup and as you can see in the upper left hand corner, that part has a bubble in it. I can't imagine that it will cause a problem. I may print a replacement for that part first, just in case. The parts are cast and as such, most of the holes will need to be drilled. If you are considering this approach, I strongly hope that you have a drill press. I can't tell what size holes i need to put in each piece yet, as I am still looking for that. Now that more parts are getting here I need to figure it out. I am only missing the "vitamins," power supply, and controllers and the power supply is on it's way. As for the vitamins, these are all of the non-electronic components that you cannot print. This is the threaded rod, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. Watch for the forthcoming Clonedel Prusa page --> in the right hand sidebar. It will have links to lists of the parts needed, with McMaster-Carr part numbers.


When I read through the Clondel part information listed on the Metrix Createspace site, I came to the belief that there was NOT an extruder included. Therefore, I found an Ebay seller wither reasonable pricing on the Wade's extruder, which I purchased.
Well, let me tell you that I was a little surprised when I was comparing parts ton
ight only to realize that there in fact WAS a Wade's Extruder included with the Clonedel parts. Here are the printed version (left) and the Clonedel parts for comparison. For a larger version of this image, check my New2CNC photostream on Flickr. So, you don't need to buy a Wade's Extruder if you buy the clonedel set.

Soon I will be posting about cleaning and drilling the clonedel parts. Once I get my order from McMaster-Carr, I will start construction.


No comments:

Post a Comment